1. Diễn Đàn Forum Lesh đã chính thức đi vào hoạt động.
    Ban Quản Trị mong nhận được những nhận xét góp ý từ các bạn.
    Mọi thắc mắc góp ý các bạn gửi tại đây.

Tổng hợp các bài luận tiếng Anh hay

Thảo luận trong 'Topics For Writing' bắt đầu bởi bill1101, 17 Tháng năm 2011.

1. bill1101 Super Moderator

Living in the city

Life in the city is full of activity. Early in the morning hundreds of people rush out of their homes in the manner ants do when their nest is broken. Soon the streets are full of traffic. Shops and offices open, students flock to their schools and the day’s work begins. The city now throb with activity, and it is full of noise. Hundreds of sight-seers, tourist and others visit many places of interest in the city while businessmen from various parts of the world arrives to transact business.

Then towards evening, the offices and day schools begin to close. Many of the shops too close. There is now a rush for buses and other means of transport. Everyone seems to be in a hurry to reach home. As a result of this rush, many accidents occur. One who has not been to the city before finds it hard to move about at this time. Soon, however, there is almost no activity in several parts of city. These parts are usually the business centres.

With the coming of night, another kind of activity begins. The streets are now full of colourful lights. The air is cooler and life becomes more leisurely. People now seek entertainment. Many visit the cinemas, parks and clubs, while others remain indoors to watch television or listen to the radio. Some visit friends and relatives and some spend their time reading books and magazines. Those who are interested in politics discuss the latest political developments. At the same time, hundreds of crimes are committed. Thieves and robbers who wait for the coming of night become active, and misfortune descends upon many. For the greed of a few, many are killed, and some live in constant fear. To bring criminals to justice, the officers of the law are always on the move.

Workers and others who seek advancement in their careers attend educational institutions which are open till late in the night. Hundreds of them sit for various examinations every year. The facilities and opportunities that the people in the city have to further their studies and uncrease their knowledge of human affairs are indeed many. As a result, the people in the city are usually better informed than those of the village, where even a newspaper is sometimes difficult to get.

The city could, therefore, be described as a place of ceaseless activity. Here, the drama of life is every day.
  2. bill1101 Super Moderator

So' 2

Living in a community where there are people of various races is a rewarding and an exciting experience. Living in such a community is like a small world with many types and races in it.

Everyone, young or old, enjoys listening to stories about the people of other lands. We read books and newspapers to learn about the habits, cultures and beliefs of people who are not belong to our race but when we live in a community composed many races, we have the opportunity to meet and talk with people of various races. We can learn about the customs and beliefs directly from them. In this way, we have a better understanding about their ways of life. For examples, in Singapore and Malaysia, which are known as multiracial countries, Malays, Chinese, Indians and others have lived together for several decades. They have learnt a lot about the cultures and beliefs of one another more than what we can learn by reading books and newspapers. They have also absorbed the habits of one another to their benefits.

Further, living in a multiracial community teaches us how to respect the views and beliefs of other races. We learn to be tolerant, to understand and appreciate the peculiarity of those who are not belong to our race. We learn how to live in peace and harmony with foreigners whose ways of life are different from ours in several respects. We become less suspicious of the strangers and foreigners.

The relationship that develops among the people from the common understanding in a multiracial community makes life in such a community is very exciting. Any celebration of any race becomes a celebration of all of other races. Thus, there is a lot of fun and excitement in during every celebration. In this way, better understanding is promoted among the people in the world. Through each of races of the people in a multiracial community, we come to know about their respective countries. For examples, through Chineses and Indians in Malaysia or Singapore, we have come to know much about China and India. As a result, we have a better understanding of the peoples of China and India as a whole.

It could therefore be said that life in a multiracial community teaches us many useful lessons about the human relations.
  3. bill1101 Super Moderator

số 3
    Tell about a visit
    A few months ago my father and I visited Singapore, one of the most famous cities in Asia.

Singapore, a small island, lies at the southern and of West Malaysia. A long and narrow piece of land joins Singapore with Johore Hahru, the southern-most town of West Malaysia. Singapore is now an independent state.

The city of Singapore is extremely beautiful. It is well known for its centers of business and other activities. There are many places of interest such as the Tiger Balm Garden, the Botanical Gardens and Raffles Museum. There are also many important centers of learning such as the University of Singapore, Science Centre, the Nanyang University and the Polytechnic. Being a famous city, hundreds of people come everyday from various parts of the world to do business or to enjoy the sights of the city. Singapore therefore has large and beautiful airports and its harbors are full of ships.

There are many night schools where people who cannot go to the day schools for some reason or other can continue their studies. And, the government of Singapore is still doing its best to make further improvements in the city for the benefit of the people.

During my stay in Singapore, I went out everyday with my father to see the beautiful and interesting places and things in the city. One day we went to the Tiger Balm Garden where I saw several statues of people, animals and other strange creature beautifully made and kept. The sea near this garden makes it a pleasant place to visit. We spent almost half of the day at this place.

Another day we visited the museum where I saw hundreds of curious things preserved for scholars and others. It was indeed an education to see all those things. There is so much to learn here that every visit by any person is sure to add to his knowledge.

I also visited some of the harbors and saw the large ships anchored there. The sight of the ships aroused a desire in me to cross the oceans and go round the world. I was indeed deeply impressed by activities at the harbor.

Then every night, I went round the town and visited some of the parks and other places of interest. The numerous lights and the constant stream of traffic kept the city alive. I visited a few of the cinemas as well. In short, I enjoyed every moment of my stay in this famous city of Singapore.
  4. dengweijin New Member

check ur grammar plz coz this is written english :D
    Possibly, if this is spoken one, it may not matter too much
    sr 4 any inconvenience
    what I aim at is mutual and reciprocal benefits :D
    keep on ur efforts
  5. bill1101 Super Moderator

Bài số 4:
    An unusual opportunity I had

Seldom does one have opportunity of seeing a fight between a tiger and a crocodile. I, however, had this opportunity one day when I went with my father into a forest in search of some wild plants.

I had never been to a forest before. Therefore, whatever I saw in the forest interested me greatly. I looked ạt the rich vegetation all round as well as the variety of colourful flowers and birds, large and small. I saw the activity of some of the wild creatures, such as snakes, squirrels and insects. Occasionally, I heard the cry of some strange animal in pain, perhaps while being eaten by a larger animal. I also heard some rustling noises in the undergrowth; but I was not afraid of all these. Such things, I knew, were natural to the forest.

My father whose only interest was in the type of plants he wanted for my mother's garden, however, paid little attention to the sounds and movements in these green depths. He continued his search for more and more of those plants until we reached one of the banks of a large river in the forest. There we stopped for a while to enjoy the sights around.

The scene was peaceful. Then, to our surprises and honor, we saw a tiger on the other side of the river. It was moving quietly and cautiously towards the water for a drink. A hush fell upon the jungle. My father and I were now too frightened to move from there.

However, as the tiger put its mouth into the river there was a sudden swirl of the waters, and before the tiger could rush out, it was seized by a huge crocodile. The tiger's howl of pain and anger filled me and my father with terrors. Yet we waited there to see the end of the struggle between these two lords of the forest and the river. The crocodile had the advantage from the beginning. It used all its strength to pull the tiger deeper into the water, and the tiger too fought desperately to free itself from the jaws of the merciless reptile; but the tiger soon gave up the struggle and all was quiet again. I now felt pity for the tiger which had died just to slake its thirst.

Then, my father reminded me of the narrow escape that we had ourselves had. If the tiger had been on this side of the river, one of us might have died in the way the tiger did, a victim of animal appetite. And as we were returning home, I began to think of the struggle for life and savagery that lurks beneath peaceful scenes.

6. bill1101 Super Moderator

Describe a village you know well

[FONT=&quot]I was born and have grown up in the country in a small village beside a beautiful river. My village is surrounded in a hedge of green bamboos. Most of the houses in the village are built of brick and have red tiled roofs.

In the middle of the village there is an old pagoda with high trees around it. On the first and fifteenth days of the lunar month, the villagers often go to the pagoda to give offerings to The God of Agriculture.

On the right of the village flows quietly a clear and blue river. When I was young, I used to swim in the river with my friends. How can I forget the wonderful time on this river fishing or rowing a boat with my boyhood friends!

On the left of the village lies the village green where village meetings are often held by village officials. On this ground covered with soft grass we used to fly kites on windy autumnal evenings.

The majority of villages live on agriculture. They get rich thanks to their fertile rice-fields and their diligence. Harvest time is certainly the busiest and the merriest time of the year. During the harvest, the villagers often get up very early in the morning. They cheerfully go to their rice-fields to harvest the bumper crop – the fruit of many months of hard work.

My villagers are very friendly and helpful. They are willing to offer mutual help in any case and always get on with one another harmoniously.

My village is rather small indeed but I like it very much because I was born and have grown up there and spent my happiest childhood among the simple and hard-working villagers who always feel attached to their native land.
    [/FONT]
  7. bill1101 Super Moderator

The importance of reading newspaper.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]As the name suggests newspapers are a source of news and information. In several respects they are also a medium of communication among the peoples of the world.

Today there are hundreds of newspapers all over the world. Everywhere there is a keen desire to learn more and more about the affairs of the world. This is partly the result of the spread of education which sharpens one’s curiosity to learn about distant lands.

As a source of news, the newspaper is almost indispensable to those whose thirst for knowledge is insatiable. They contain news on events in distant corners of the earth. Information about such events arrives almost immediately. As a result, people everywhere are informed about the most important event in the world very quickly and almost at the same time. For example, if a war breaks out in one part of the world today, the people in the other parts will certainly come to know about it tomorrow. As a result, all the countries of the world are able to do something quickly to help those who have suffered because of the war or to persuade the countries at war to cease fighting.

Newspaper also play an important part in keeping the people of the world informed about the troubles that might arise in the future, if nothing is done to prevent them from happening. For example, if a dispute arises between the two countries for any reason, the newspapers can keep the people of the world informed about what might happen if nothing is done to persuade the two countries to resolve their differences peacefully.
    In this way many wars have been avoided because of the intervention of some countries in the disputes of many countries which were given prominence in newspapers.

When all this is considered, we feel that there is some silent communication among countries through the medium of newspapers for the common benefit of the countries of the world.

Further, constant reading of newspapers improves one’s outlook on life and makes one a more reasonable person. The importance of the newspaper is therefore obvious.
    [/FONT]
  8. bill1101 Super Moderator

Talk about an adventure in a forest

A few months ago some of my classmates and I made a trip to Borneo with our Geography teacher to seek adventure in the forests of Borneo.

Soon after our arrival in Borneo, we made all the preparations and began our journey to the forest early one morning. After miles of travel through the forest, we arrived at an open space. As it was already late in the evening, we decided to erect our tent and spend the night there. Night soon
    fell on this place and we lighted our oil lamp.

Feeling tired, we had our meal early and went to bed. There was silence all around; but soon, creatures that love the night world became active. The forest was now full of frightful noise. Breaking through this noise, came another noise, more frightening; the noise of native drums. And as the
    minutes slipped by, it seemed to come nearer and nearer. We all froze into deadly silence. The tension mounted rapidly, but still nothing happened. Then, as suddenly as it began, the noise stopped. We were alarmed. We were now sure that some natives have seen us and we would be attacked. In such a situation, we could not sleep. Death might come at any time.

Minutes lengthened to hours; but in our anxiety to preserve our lives, we hardly noticed the coming of day. Then, all of a sudden, we found ourselves surrounded by half-naked natives with spears in their hands. Surprised and terrified, we remained speechless for some time. Then, one of them, presumably their leader, uttered a word. He seemed eager to talk, but there was no language in which we could understand each other.

Our teacher, who is always full of ideas, then offered a cigarette to the man who uttered the word. The man, however, seemed to suspect our teacher’s intentions. He refused to accept the cigarette. Our teacher then put it between his own lips and after lighting it, began to puff at it. The man now made a sign which showed that he would not mind having a cigarette after all. At once our teacher gave him one and helped him to light it. As he was puffing at it, we observed signs of satisfaction. Realizing that in this way we could become friends, our teacher gave him a few more cigarettes. The man was so delighted at this demonstration of
    friendship that he uttered some words, and soon all those who came with him, began to dance and sing.

After they had stopped singing, they made several gestures which showed that they had enjoyed our company. They left us after about an hour with smiles on their faces. Our journey into the interior of Borneo was indeed an adventure.
  9. bill1101 Super Moderator

Your most embarrassing experience

Our family live in the suburb of HCM city, not far from the central city. It is about 30 kilometers to the South.

Last week my parents, my brothers and my sisters paid a visit to my grandparents in the country and I therefore stayed at home alone. I used to get up very early in the morning. As usual, after going to the market to buy some necessary things, I came back home to start doing the housework such as cleaning the floor, making the bed, making coffee and preparing lunch. The
    house now was so clean and tidy that it seemed bigger and larger. I had worked from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. I was so tired that I had to stop working for a rest. After 15 minutes of relaxation, I started working again.

Right after I had taken the teapot from the cupboard, I suddenly felt something burning downstairs. I got so embarrassed and frightened that I dropped the teapot while I was hurrying downstairs. To my horror and surprise, the kettle on the
    electric stove was on fire. I was in such a confusing state that I was quite at a loss. Then I came up an idea: I rushed to the switchboard to cut off the electric power. The house suddenly became as dark as pitch. In the pitch-dark kitchen, the kettle turned so dazzling red that it looked just like a hot burning sun on a stifling summer afternoon.
  10. bill1101 Super Moderator

Would you prefer to have an expensive and ostentatious wedding with lots of guests or a simple and quiet one?

Everyone has his own conception. These viewpoints are quite different from each other, especially in ceremonies and rites, for example, in a wedding ceremony.

Last Sunday, one of my closest girlfriends invited me to her wedding. The bride was born of a middle-class family. Her parents are retired government officials. To satisfy their daughter’s wishes, they had to organize a pompous and expensive wedding. The wedding was prepared carefully: they had the house whitewashed and decorated, lanterns and gorgeous flowers were hung everywhere.

On the wedding day, the bride wore a full-length pink dress, with a crown on her head just like a queen. A great number of guests were invited to the party. Delicious and rare main courses were served in the deafening sounds of rock music. Almost all guests drank so much whisky and brandy that they got as drunk as lords, and the wedding party lasted three days and three nights. It was rumored that her wedding party cost half of her parents’ fortune.

As for me, I have a quite different conception of wedding. I prefer to have a very simple and quiet wedding party rather than an ostentatious and expensive one.

Before my wedding, I myself will decorate the living-room in accordance with my taste. In my wedding ceremony, I will wear a traditional dress which represents chastity and purity. Only few friends and relatives will be invited to my simple wedding party. There will be no rock music and no other kinds of festivals.

In summary, I conceive that the happiness of a newly-married couple cannot be found in an ostentatious and expensive wedding which only ruins their health and their parent’s fortune.
  11. bill1101 Super Moderator

A NARROW ESCAPE

Riding bicycle down slope – Suddenly saw car from right – Frightened – Tried to brake – Brakes failed – Sure of death – car stopped in time – Narrow escape – Thanked driver of car – No more careless riding

One evening, I was cycling down a steep slope near my house, as fast as I could. I was fond of doing so, as it gave me the feeling that I was a good cyclist.

Most unexpectedly, however, a car was coming from my right. I was frightened and tried to brake at once; but the brakes failed. I was now sure that I would be killed.

Fortunately, the motorist was not as careless as I was. The car stopped in time. I therefore escaped the jaws of death.

I then thanked the motorist for driving so carefully. The motorist, however, warned me to be careful in the future.

Since that evening, I have always been careful while cycling.
  12. bill1101 Super Moderator

Talk about the habit of smoking cigarettes

Smoking cigarettes is really an expensive habit. The average price per pack of cigarettes, for example, is just about one dollar, people who smoke two packs of cigarettes a day therefore spend $2 per day on their habit. At the end of one year these smokers incur a debt. Since cigarette smoking has an offensive odor that permeates clothing stuffed furniture and carpets, smokers often find that they must have these items cleaned more frequently than nonsmokers do. Further more, a smoker would pay a large sum of money for some diseases coming from smoking. Although it is difficult to sum the cost of these additional expenses, we can say that the expenses do contribute to making smoking become an expensive habit.
  13. bill1101 Super Moderator

Describe your best friend and tell why you like him or her

In our daily activities we often get in touch with the others and from these relations we meet some people whose interests, characteristics and behaviors are similar to ours and we choose them as our friends.

To me, one of my best friends is Nam. Nam is only over eighteen but he is well developed; so he is thought to be twenty or more. He has black hair, a broad forehead, a straight nose and bright eyes. He is very good-looking. He has a kind heart and is easy to get on with everybody. We have been friends for a very long time. The deeper our mutual understanding becomes the more we feel closely attached to each other. “Birds of a feather flock together”, Nam and I are keen on learning. We are the best pupils in our class. Nam is always at the top. He is good at every subject, but he never shows pride in his abilities and always tries to learn harder.

Nam’s family is not rich enough. His parents are retired workers. Realizing the hardships of his parents, although he is absorbed in his study, he often spends most of his spare time doing useful things to help his parents in their old age. He gets up early in the morning to have enough time to deliver newspapers to subscribers before going to school. After school in the afternoon, he repairs bicycles and motorbikes. Therefore the money he gets from his manual job is sufficient for his school fees and for his parents’ presents. I like Nam very much because of his honesty and straight forwardness. He is always ready to help his weak friends in their study; as a result, lots of friends, thanks to his whole-hearted help, have become good ones.

In my relation with Nam, I have got precious experience: thirst for learning, patience to overcome difficulties, helpfulness and filial piety.
  14. bill1101 Super Moderator

Talk about what you hope to achieve in adult life.

It is worthwhile and proper that one should plan for one’s future early. Everyone is given with certain talents and one should make full use of them for the future welfare and happiness. Some people desire to make money; some want to make a name and some would like to be useful to society. I have decided to become a social worker to serve the poor, the suffering and the needy.

The idea of becoming a social worker has not come to me all of a sudden. In a way it has been the result of reading the lives of great men and women who dedicated their lives to the service to the suffering. From Gautama the Buddha to Mother Therasa I have studied something about their lives and how they suffered and worked for others. Gautama the prince became the Buddha after seeing the sufferings of his people. Then there is Mother Therasa who got the coveted Nobel Prize for peace for her service to the sick, the suffering and the dying in the streets of Calcutta. The more I read about them the more I thought of them. As a result, I was interested in becoming a social worker. After all what is the point of being a human if one cannot serve his fellow beings. True, good people for the dedication are rare; but there is nothing wrong in a person trying to become one.

To do this is not easy at all. One must be prepared and get mentally the necessary training for it. As the saying goes “charity begins at home”, I started helping my people at home in every possible way. I have helped mother in the kitchen, my father in polishing his shoes; I have washed and ironed the family clothes. I also started helping my neighbors by running errands for them. I began loving the old people, visiting the slum areas and talking to people about their difficulties. I once went around collecting my old clothes and distributing them to the poor.

It was not exactly what I did but how I reacted. I can be ready to serve once I have erased the selfishness inside. It have been recognized that, as a social worker I am not on the look out for any personal gain. Whatever I do, it must come from the need of someone.

To become a social worker, I have studied some books on sociology. Theory is not enough; therefore, I have got in with several societies doing social work, for example the Red Cross Society doing both in peace and war.

There are of course difficulties on the way. My parents never approve because the career as a social worker did not bring any money or fame. Life itself may be hard. Until one’s work is recognized, one may not be regarded as genuine and is appreciated. Even friends may scoff at the notion and even the society itself may be suspicious till one’s bona fides are proved.

However, after taking all these into consideration, I have made up my mind to become a social worker.
  15. bill1101 Super Moderator

The advantages and disadvantages of the cinema

The influence that the cinema exerts on the minds of those who visit it is at once beneficial and harmful.

Today, there is a cinema in almost every town. The cinema provides so much entertainment that few people fail to visit it. One of the reasons for the popularity of the cinema is that, it entertains all types of people, young and old, literate and illiterate. Because it is so popular, it must exercise some influence on those whom it attracts.

The films shown in the cinema are often very instructive and informative. Almost every film shows something about the activities and customs of the people in other lands. By seeing such films, one learns a lot about human activities. One also gains a better understanding of people of the world.

Further, some films show the battles that were fought in the past. They also sometimes show very vividly how man has struggled through the centuries to remove discomfort from his life. In this way, some films have given many people an insight into the past. Even illiterate people have benefited from such films. What they cannot acquire from books owing to their inability to read, they can acquire from films. School students, too, often benefit from a visit to the cinema. What they see and hear in the cinema makes a better impression on their minds than only the spoken words or their teachers. For example, a teacher of history can hardly describe a battle scene to his students as vividly as a film does. For all these reasons, the cinema is often regarded as an important means of spreading knowledge.

It must be admitted, however, that some films have exerted an evil influence on many people. Films which show the activities of criminals have encouraged many youths to commit acts or crime. Other films, too, such as those dealing with sex and other natural weaknesses of man, have corrupted the morals of many people. As a result, the governments of many countries have been compelled to interfere in the display and production of certain films. Yet, the cinema continues to retain its popularity.
  • Chia sẻ trang này